Responsible to the Manager – Programming & Venues, and under the supervision of the Technical Director,the Production Chargehand is responsible for the successful day-of-show operation of the Horowitz Theatre and additional Students’’ Union venues for varying levels of entertainment events. Flexibility and the ability to adapt and work in varying production capacities as well as effective communication skills and time management is integral to the position. Supervision and an understanding of all stagecraft and technical departments will be required. The specialization in one of the following areas will be required: Audio, Stage Management, Electrics.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assemble, deploy, and operate sound and/or lighting systems for all rentals to specific requirements set by the client contract. Amenable to the changing needs of clients during a rental, working to best meet the needs of the client, while balancing the best interests of the Horowitz and Students’ Union
- Ensure that Theatre productions are conducted following applicable house and program policies.
- To supervise and where appropriate carry out all preventative maintenance programs relating to all Students’ Union production equipment, including tools, properties, and accessories.Also involved with emergency equipment repair including, but not limited to, carpentry, painting, electrical and general cleaning and maintenance.
- Supervise and delegate to technical staff in the areas of production, during both maintenance and rental shifts in the absent of the Technical Director. Act as a training resource for technical staff as required.
- Limited supervision of Front of House staff as required.
- Assist in shipping and receiving of capital, supply and rental items.
- To monitor and maintain an inventory of all equipment and necessary supplies. To ensure that inventory is maintained and controlled in an organized manner including supplies, tools and special maintenance requirements.
- Ensuring day-to-day compliance with existing safety regulations and building policies.
- Supervise, assist and advise clients to ensure that their needs are met within the terms of their contract while ensuring that theatre, building and campus policies, rules and safety regulations are adhered to.
- Report and advise on client use time, problems and concerns.
- To perform construction, renovation, maintenance and repair of Students’ Union Venues (including building, furniture and equipment) as directed.
- General caretaking of theatre areas as required.
- Pick up supplies when required.
- Work with other departments to ensure their entertainment technical needs are being met, including but not limited to SU Bars
- To perform other job related duties within the bounds of the required qualifications as coordinated by the Manager – Programming & Venues, the Technical Director, or other venue Operations Managers.